8–12 Weeks before You Move:
• If you own your house, contact your real estate agent to begin the selling process.
• Establish your preferred moving dates.
• Research your new community.
• Compare school districts.
• Obtain free city reports.
• Set up a house-hunting trip to your new city.
• Find out if your employer will be paying for the move, or will be providing you with a lump sum or a direct reimbursement.
• Have a garage sale or donate goods you do not want to move. This will help you save money on the move.
4-8 Weeks before You Move:
• Contact us to schedule a convenient time for a free estimate. Purchase your new home; arrange financing; establish closing dates.
• Make a list of everyone you need to notify of your move.
• Obtain change of address cards from your local post office.
• Check with your school on transferring your children’s school records.
• Research driver’s license requirements for the state you are moving to.
• Find out from the IRS or your accountant if moving expenses are tax deductible.
• Contact your insurance agent to discuss your insurance needs for your new home.
• Select a new bank in your new city.
• Begin to organize your medical and dental records.
3 Weeks before You Move:
• Make a decision on whether you will pack your own boxes or if you’d like to utilize our professional packing service.
• Begin the packing process if you are doing it yourself.
• Compile all personal records.
• Change your address on credit cards, magazine subscriptions.
• If you have children, arrange for them to be at a babysitter during loading day.
• Arrange to have your utilities disconnected after your move-out day.
• Arrange to connect your utilities the day before your scheduled move-in day.
2 Weeks before You Move:
• Plan to use all the food in your refrigerator and freezer.
• Clean your home and clear basement and attics.
• Cancel all current delivery services such as newspapers.
• Dispose of all flammables, cleaners, paints, aerosols, ammunition, etc.
• Transfer all current prescriptions to your new local pharmacy.
• Clear out your safety deposit box. Transfer bank accounts.
• Be sure that you have packed everything in advance.
• Drain the oil and gasoline from your lawn mower, and other power tools if they are to be moved.
One Week before You Move:
• Confirm your travel arrangements for your family.
• Empty and clean your refrigerator and freezer, clean your stove, etc.
• Only use those household items that you’ll need, such as sheets, towels, a few pans and dishes. Make sure everything else is ready to be moved.
• Review all paperwork with our Forman.
• Check inventory of all items moving.
• Make sure your children and pets are not at home so that they do not get in the way of the movers.
• Sit back and let Moving of America’s professional movers take care of the move.