Moving & Packing Tips
1. Be sure to pack an overnight bag.
- Change of Clothes
2. Pack essentials in specially labeled box.
3. Labeling your boxes.
4. If you can, show up to your new home before the move and pre-clean the bathroom and kitchen.
5. Place an extra cotton pad or ball into your powder cosmetics to keep them from breaking.
6. Cover the openings of your toiletries with saran wrap, then put the tops back on.
7. Pack plates vertically, like records. They’ll be less likely to break.
8. Keep drawers intact by covering them with Press’n Seal.
9. Press’n Seal is also great for keeping jewelry displays intact.
10. Keep sandwich bags handy for holding any small parts of things that might need to be taken apart, like curtain rods or mounted flat-screen TVs.
11. Beer boxes are the best for books because they have handles on the sides.
12. Take a photo of how your electronics are connected so you can remember how and where all the wires go.
13. Enlist the color-coding system.
14. It doesn’t hurt to number your boxes.
15. If you have a lot of fragile valuables, hiring movers for packing as opposed to asking friends can end up paying for itself.
16. If you do hire movers, be sure to read the fine print and find out if they have any weird rules.
17. Need a quick way to fill up holes from nails? Use a soap bar!
18. Make your last grocery trip two weeks prior to moving.